Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bread from Scratch

That's right, you heard read me, I made bread from SCRATCH baby! As part of our Earth Day Project that Addy and I are doing for school, we are finding ways to use fresher products around the house. So we figured, why not make bread? So I searched many different sights and found the most kid-friendly (and mommy-friendly) recipe to try. Wellllll, the first batch didn't even rise so we tossed it and chalked it up as a good first try and I found another recipe that worked GREAT! 
                     I am excited about the money savings and the health benefits of accomplishing this task but I am most proud that I just did it. If you know me, you know I am fascinated with "the good ole days". I love to talk to my grandparents about lifestyle back then and how they spent their time. You know, before Wal-mart and Target and internet.... 
                              Don't get me wrong now, I am a HUGE Target shopper and I love to spend lots of time there. 

There is just something intriguing to me about the idea of living in the 30's and 40's but Lord knows I love technology and wouldn't last a week back then. 

     But the biggest reward of it all is watching Addy mix and pour and get messy in the kitchen. She is so proud of herself and I hope these things are instilling in her a sense of gratitude and appreciation for things that she will carry on to adulthood.
So, here are some pics of our DELICIOUS bread! 


 We mixed the ingredients according to the recipe, the key was to add the flour slowly.

We waited an hour for the dough to rise......
 
  and then shaped it into a loaf and left it for another 30 minutes

Not bad for the first, well second try. (we didn't even get past the second picture the first time)
We also made pancakes from scratch since we had the ingredients out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment