Wednesday, March 23, 2011

First Year of Homeschooling

WOW! I can't believe it is March already! This school year has gone by so fast and guess what?......Addy and I survived AND may have learned something! Okay, even though I am being silly right now, there is some truth to it. 
     I started off this first year of homeschooling with so many dreams and visions of all the wonderful things we will do that she didn't do in public school. Well, it didn't take long to realize that REALITY was waiting to take those visions and destroy them. I have gone through pages and pages of lesson plans and countless new schedules and I lost count of the times that I have rearranged and changed our "classroom". So many nights I would go to bed and wonder, "Did I teach her enough, did I teach her too much, did I fuss too much, did I give her enough one on one, did I give her enough independent time, did she play enough, am I doing the right thing,........", then I would cry a little, pray a lot, and sleep. That was usually followed by me coming up with ANOTHER change in our day and getting excited again and then let down again. Needless to say, this has been an exhausting year! Oh, and did I mention that during all this I bought a house and had our second baby?
     I say all of that to get to this, as I learn in this new adventure of our lives I have discovered more good than bad. I have grown as a mother, woman, wife and teacher. Somewhere along the way God showed me my purpose. It is not how much I teach her that is important but the way I teach her. My job description as her teacher is to show her how to LOVE TO LEARN!
    Don't get me wrong, I still have those stressful nights and struggle with whether I did all I should have done that day. But those days are now fewer and fewer. I make an effort each day to be led by the Holy Spirit and not led by my own agenda. I am so proud to be a homeschooling mom! My goal is to show my children how to find joy in the little things and have faith in God. As we begin to wrap up this year and plan for next, I will always remember this year as the best because it is the year that Addy and I found a new relationship with each other and with God.

So I have decided to start this blog as a way to journal about my daily experiences to use as a tool for growing and learning.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Sananda! I am so happy for you! I know you are doing a great job! You continue to inspire the Secraw family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl you never cease to amaze me! You are a wonderful person, I wish you the best and I can not wait to reconnect because you know I have a million questions! Give Brad my love.....See you soon

    ReplyDelete